- Among Us
Among Us (stylized in the Apple App Store as Among Us!) is an online multiplayer science-fiction/social deduction murder mystery game created by Innersloth that runs on the Unity Game Engine. It was first released on June 15, 2018, for Android and iOS - and was later released on Steam on August 18, 2018. On December 15, 2020, a Nintendo Switch edition was released, which is available on the console's Nintendo eShop. On December 14, 2021, Xbox and PlayStation editions were released for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5.
The game is set on one of four locations; a spaceship, above-earth base, planet base, or a Henry-Stickmin-themed Airship which contains a group of crew members, among which are up to three Impostors who have to Sabotage the ship/base/planet and kill off the Crew. Crewmates have to complete their chosen tasks, report bodies of other Crewmates who are killed, and initiate emergency meetings if they witness another player doing something incriminating or suspicious.
By 2020, Among Us was considered by Innersloth to be a complete game, and as of June 11, 2020, MIRA HQ and Polus, which were previously paid for, were released for free for players playing both on Windows and Android/iOS/iPadOS to host. The game gained an increase in popularity in 2020 due to famous Twitch streamers and YouTubers playing it. A sequel, titled Among Us 2, was announced by Innersloth on August 18, 2020, and was scheduled to be available by 2021 but was canceled in September. Work will instead improve the original game due to the unexpected popularity of the original Among Us. Also, many forms of merchandise, such as T-shirts and toys, have been announced and launched.
Among Us can either take place on a spaceship in outer space, a building high in the Earth's atmosphere, an alien planet, or an airship. There are two types of roles: The Impostors and the Crewmates. There can be a total of 15 players in an online game, with up to three Impostors. The Impostors' objective is to eliminate players and Sabotage using either aggressive, defensive, or passive tactics before the Crewmates complete all of their tasks or discover everyone's true identity. The Crewmates' objective is to complete all of their tasks, avoid being killed, and figuring out who The Impostors are. All tasks are mainly visual and provide a fine user-friendly interface for players of all levels and ages. Additional roles were released in version 2021.11.9. These new roles include Engineer, Scientist, Guardian Angel, and Shapeshifter.
Among Us is a murder mystery game that can take place either in a spaceship named "The Skeld," the headquarters of the company MIRA, a research base on the planet Polus, or an Airship. Among the players, one to three will be randomly chosen as Impostors, who need to blend in and kill the Crewmates. The Crewmates' goal is to complete tasks in the form of mini-games, such as fixing wiring, emptying garbage, or swiping an ID card, all the while having the goal of finding out who The Impostors are and voting them out. Impostors can Sabotage the map, which results in either a problem that will cause the Crew an inconvenience until fixed (e.g., turning off the lights, which affect the vision of the Crew, and messing up the Communications, which disables several useful features for the Crew and at the same time); or even a severe problem which gives the Crew an important task that must be completed under a time limit (such as depletion of the oxygen aboard the ship or meltdown of the reactor inside). The Impostors' goal is to kill off enough Crewmates for an equal amount of Impostors and Crewmates left, which results in a win for The Impostors as they theoretically could not be voted out. They are able to do this using the aforementioned sabotaging mechanic, though their main strategy is to directly murder each and every member one by one.
Players can interact with various useful resources, such as a camera system, a sensors system, an administration panel, and a vitality machine, which can help crew members catch An Impostor killing a player, shapeshifting, or entering a vent. When a player finds a dead body, they can report it, which pauses the game and leads to a discussion where people can chat to find out who The Impostors are. Players can address evidence found with deaths and vote for a person they think is An Impostor. The player with the most votes will be ejected from the map, and the game will reveal if they were An Impostor (if Confirm Ejects is activated). Also, if players are unsure of who may be An Impostor, they can skip the vote. If the most votes are cast to skip, no one will be ejected. This also occurs when the number of votes toward two or more players is equal; that is, it is considered a tie.
When a player dies, they will become a ghost, who can explore the map without colliding with the walls. However, they are not visible to the living Crew and can only be seen by other ghosts. Their communication system is limited, as they can only interact with other dead or ejected players, and they cannot resolve Sabotage. If they are a Crewmate, they can still complete tasks. In the same way, Impostor ghosts can still Sabotage to disrupt the Crewmates who are still alive. Before a game starts, players can configure certain game options, such as the number of Impostors, speed, map, kill cooldown, among others. They can also customize their character with cosmetics, such as colors, skins, hats and pets.
Players can choose from a total of 18 colors. These include Red, Blue, Green, Pink, Orange, Yellow, Black, White, Purple, Brown, Cyan, Lime, Maroon, Rose, Banana, Gray, Tan, and Coral. There are two extra colors (Fortegreen and Olive) that are/were in the game or that were planned to be in the game but are currently inaccessible by players. Players may also choose from different skins, hats and pets to alter cosmetic appearance.
Skins were added in 2019, including several clothes like police, white hat, military, captain, etc. New skins were also added during the MIRA HQ release: one for chemists and one for security and the Polus map launch: one in cold clothing and the other in mining. The skins, including hats, require payment on the mobile version. On Windows, they are available after purchasing the game. When the two maps were released, each map's exclusive skins were only obtained after purchasing it. The skins for both maps were still premium.
Hats were added in version 2018.10.10 of the game, which included several hats for players to customize the character, such as caps and masks, Halloween, or Christmas hats. There were new hats in the Halloween updates, such as a hockey mask, devil horns, a knife, etc. It also received new hats in the special Christmas updates, such as a Santa Claus hat and antlers, among other different hats.
In version 2019.5.28, new hats were added, including five hats for free and a paid pack of eight hats on mobile and free on computer. In version 2020.6.11, new hats were added, such as the balloon hat, masks, and tufts among others.
Visor cosmetics were added in version 2021.11.9, including several accessories that are attached to the player's visor. Many new visor cosmetics were added, and several previous hats were converted into visor cosmetics.
Added in version 2019.6.12, pets are small creatures that will follow the player around. Each pet also has unique animations and reactions to its "owner" dying. As of now, there are a total of 11 different pets available.
The Skeld is the first map of Among Us, also becoming the only free map in the game before June 2020. The Skeld is set within a turtle-shaped spaceship, which the Crewmates used to travel around outer space. Crewmates must complete tasks on the ship and figure out who each Impostor is.
MIRA HQ is the second map released in Among Us. Unlike the others, the map was released as paid content and is set on a sky base, rather than a spaceship. The map was officially announced on August 3, 2019, and was released to the public on August 8, 2019. Unlike The Skeld, Impostors can freely roam around vents that are not adjacent to a specific vent.
Polus is the third map of Among Us, announced on November 1, 2019, and released on November 12, 2019. It takes place in a research base on the rocky, purple planet of Polus. This map features similarities to both The Skeld and MIRA HQ while also having its features. Due to being a terrestrial planet, there are no ventilation systems on the planet, but rather holes. This map is also currently the second largest in Among Us.
The Airship was announced by Innersloth on September 23, 2020, as part of the new content added to Among Us after its sequel's cancellation, Among Us 2. The map is based on the Toppat Clan Airship from Infiltrating the Airship, a Henry Stickmin game also developed by Innersloth. It is the fourth and the largest map. It contains several new tasks and new mechanics in it, such as ladders and moving platforms. It is released on March 31, 2021.
The game supports the following languages:
- Spanish (Latin America)
- Spanish (EU)
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Portuguese (EU)
- Filipino (Bisaya)
|WASD, Arrow keys, Mouse||Movement|
|Tab key||Personal map, Sabotage map|
|Space key, E key||Use/Doorlog/Security/Admin/Vitals|
|F key||Special role action (Shift, Protect, Scientist Vitals, Engineer Vent)|
|Esc key||Close open interface/Open menu (in lobby/game)|
On January 6, 2020, developers said that "[they] thought it was a completed game twice in the past as we came back to add online multiplayer and two new maps. But as of the Polus release, we're sure that Among Us is a complete game. There are always things that people want and things we could potentially add, but Among Us was always intended to be a small game, and we are just a team of three people with one programmer. We've already added a lot to a small game, the difficulty of adding new features and content is now very high. You all can see this difficulty in terms of bugs that seemingly never get fixed. Adding more things would undoubtedly add more bugs. So from now on, we are not adding more to Among Us. There will be a few bug-fix-only updates and a plan of price changes, then we will let Among Us take its natural course." Then, they intended that Among Us servers would run until "at least 2021. Probably longer." They also said, "We will announce if we are stopping the servers and provide some alternative," If this is the case, the game will possibly be able to be self-hosted.
On August 18, 2020, Innersloth officially announced that a sequel to Among Us, titled Among Us 2, was in development due to the game's core sections not being built and adapted to support the addition of new content. They also pointed out that "Among Us servers would stay alive for as long as it had enough players to start games." However, after several long discussions between the developers, they announced the sequel would be canceled, with all new features of the sequel implemented the original game.
The developers have announced the following new content coming to the game:
Among Us was released for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on December 15, 2020, and is available on the Nintendo eShop for US$5.00. This was firstly announced at the Nintendo's Indie World conference on the same day. The game was ported by PlayEveryWare, an external development team. It has also been confirmed to release on the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and the PlayStation 5, which released on December 14, 2021.
- Among Us was inspired by the real-life group social deduction game, Mafia, and by the science-fiction horror film The Thing.
- When developing The Skeld, the ship was intended to be always in crisis and Impostors could do tasks to mix themselves with the Crewmates, however, it was discarded as they found it "stressful" and that would affect discussions.
- Innersloth has planned to launch Among Us for consoles, specifically PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but found a problem implementing player communication, as text or voice chat seemed to be useless.
- MIRA HQ and Polus originally served as additional paid content for Among Us until its update on June 11, 2020, when the two maps were made permanently free for everyone.
- During this period, these two maps had free weeks for all players to host temporarily.
- Currently, the exclusive skins from these maps are paid additional content for the game.
- Among Us may have been internally named "Space Mafia" during development, as the Play Store's app package name is "
- During its history, the game faced, and is facing, several bugs:
- According to Innersloth, Among Us took six months to enter open beta and more than six months to exit from open beta.
- According to Innersloth via Twitter, they settled for the Crewmate design relatively quickly.
- The characters' design is similar to the Morolians from Space Channel 5.
- The Henry Stickmin series, which is also developed by Innersloth, is referenced many times in Among Us for significant motives.
- Even though the game was made back in 2018, it only became popular with major new updates in 2020. The popularity was due to Twitch streamers, especially Korean ones.
- On some platforms, the icon for Among Us was changed in version 2021.6.15 to match the altered art style.
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Result||Reference|
|Golden Joystick 2020||November 24, 2020||Breakthrough Award||Won|||
|The Game Awards 2020||December 10, 2020||Best Mobile Game||Won|||
|Best Multiplayer Game||Won|||
|Steam Awards 2020||January 3, 2021||Labor of Love Award||Nominated|||
|Easy Allies Awards||January 26, 2021||Best Multiplayer Game||Won|||
|Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||March 13, 2021||Favorite Video Game||Won|||
|Unity Showcase Awards||March 19, 2021||Best Multiplayer Game||Won|||
|Webby Awards||May 18, 2021||Breakout of the Year||Won|||
|Pocket Gamer Mobile Games Awards||July 20, 2021||Best Indie Developer||Won|||
|Global Industry Game Awards||August 27, 2021||Support: Community Management||Won|||
|App Store Awards 2021||December 2, 2021||Top Trend of 2021||Won|||
|The main theme song of the game in the main menu.|
|If you want to see the gallery of Among Us, click here.|
- "*pops out of vent*
Oops, we've been caught. @AmongUsGame comes to Xbox and @XboxGamePass in 2021!
xbx.lv/3nvUIf8". Twitter, Xbox. December 17, 2020. Retrieved December 20, 2020.
- "📢 XBOX & PLAYSTATION - DEC 14, 2021 📢
Among Us is dropping on Xbox consoles, Xbox Game Pass, and PS4 & PS5!
gather your crew - we've got Impostors to eject". Twitter, @AmongUsGame. October 21, 2021. Retrieved October 21, 2021.
- "PC and Online Released!". itch.io. August 17, 2018. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Among Us 2018.8.24 released!". itch.io, Innersloth. August 25, 2018. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Bug fixes in Among Us 2018.9.6". itch.io, Innersloth. September 11, 2018. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Find a game easier in Among Us 2018.9.20!". itch.io, Innersoth. September 23, 2018. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "More sounds and kick/ban controls in Among Us!". itch.io, Innersloth. September 30, 2018. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "The Data Among Us". itch.io, Innersloth. October 4, 2018. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "Hats?! In my version 2018.10.10?". itch.io, Innersloth. October 11, 2018. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "Happy Holidays From Among Us!". itch.io, Innersloth. December 2, 2018. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "Server Issues and a new update!". itch.io, Innersloth. December 22, 2018. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "First 2019 Update!". itch.io, Innersloth. January 25, 2019. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "New Map Trailer: Polus". itch.io, Innersloth. November 1, 2019. Retrieved MONTH DD, YYYY.
- "MIRA now easier to play and more hack-resistant!". itch.io, Innersloth. November 5, 2020. Retrieved November 29, 2020.
- "Polus Map Launched!". itch.io, Innersloth. November 12, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2020.
- "Among Us and Innersloth In 2020 - Among Us by Innersloth". itch.io, Innersloth. January 6, 2020. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "Among Us 2". itch.io, Innersloth. August 18, 2020. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- "The Future of Among Us". itch.io, Innersloth. September 23, 2020. Retrieved December 8, 2020.
- "Among Us October Beta Update Patch Notes". Attack of the Fanboy. October 10, 2020. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Among Us - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch". YouTube, Nintendo. December 15, 2020. Retrieved December 15, 2020.
- "The upcoming Airship map, consoles, and what's next 🎈". itch.io, Innersloth. January 19, 2021. Retrieved January 21, 2021.
- "Info on Accounts". itch.io, Innersloth. March 24, 2021. Retrieved March 25, 2021.
- "Beginner's Guide: How to Play Among Us". Bluestacks. February 7, 2020. Retrieved May 16, 2020.
- "New Map + Henry Update!". itch.io, Innersloth. August 3, 2019. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "MIRA HQ Launched!". itch.io, Innersloth. August 8, 2019. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "Among Us for Nintendo Switch". Nintendo. Retrieved December 16, 2020.
- "they also had an external team handle the switch port and have an external team handling accounts". Innersloth Discord server, Buttery Stancakes. January 25, 2021. Retrieved January 25, 2021.
- "Among Us". PlayEveryWare. Retrieved January 25, 2021.
- "Update: Among Us Available Now with Xbox Game Pass for PC, Coming 2021 to Xbox Game Pass for Console". Xbox, Will Turtle. December 10, 2020. Retrieved December 22, 2020.
- "🌟 AMONG US - COMING TO PLAYSTATION 🌟
get ready to welcome a whole new crew on board!!
✨ on PS4 and PS5 consoles later this year
✨ exclusive Ratchet & Clank skin, hat, and pet
✨ crossplay and online multiplayer
tell your friends but more importantly.. tell your enemies heh". Twitter, @AmongUsGame. April 29, 2021. Retrieved April 29, 2021.
- "How Among Us became so wildly popular". PC Gamer, Wes Fenlon. September 24, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "Original Among Us Was a Much Different and More Stressful Game". Comicbook, Tyler Fischer. January 9, 2021. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- "Among Us dev recounts how the game took flight, including early game ideas". Nintendo. January 12, 2021. Retrieved March 20, 2021.
- "Among Us PS4, Xbox One Console Ports Are More Complicated Than You Think". GameSpot, Jeremy Winslow. September 24, 2020. Retrieved November 24, 2020.
- "Among Us - Apps on Google Play". Play Store. Retrieved December 5, 2020.
- "By the way, this is literally the only concept art of coming up with the crewmate design. We settled pretty fast.". Twitter, PuffballsUnited. October 6, 2020. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "We won a Golden Joystick Award". Twitter, InnerslothDevs. November 24, 2020. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Keep an eye out for #TheGameAwards tonight! Vote for @AmongUsGame to win Best Mobile and Best Multiplayer". Twitter, InnerslothDevs. December 10, 2020. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "@AmongUsGame wins for Best Multiplayer Game at #TheGameAwards!!!". Twitter, TheGameAwards. December 10, 2020. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "@AmongUsGame wins their second award of the night for Best Mobile Game presented by #LGWing & @Qualcomm Snapdragon!". Twitter, TheGameAwards. December 10, 2020. Retrieved April 9, 2021.
- "Enjoy Among Us? Help nominate it for "Labor of Love" in The @Steam Awards!". Twitter, AmongUsGame. November 27, 2020. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Red Dead Redemption 2 is Steam's game of the year 2020". PC Gamer, Jody Macgregor. January 3, 2021. Retrieved January 5, 2021.
- "The 2020 Easy Allies Awards - Game of the Year". YouTube, Easy Allies. January 26, 2021. Retrieved November 16, 2021.
- "we won the Kid's Choice Awards for Favorite Video Game!". Twitter, @InnerslothDevs. March 14, 2021. Retrieved March 14, 2021.
- "Concluding this #GDCShowcase week, we are proud to announce our Unity Showcase Award winners 🥁 🎉
Best Multiplayer - @AmongUsGame". Twitter, @unitygames. March 19, 2021. Retrieved November 16, 2021.
- "@hasanthehun presents the Webby Breakout of the Year Award to @AmongUsGame and @InnerslothDevs for providing the Internet's "it" game that has kept players around the world connected, while at a distance.". Twitter, @TheWebbyAwards. May 18, 2021. Retrieved May 26, 2021.
- "The Finalists for 2021". Mobile Game Awards. July 20, 2021. Retrieved August 30, 2021.
- "Moving on to the Support category, the first award we have is for Community Management. And the award goes to… Among Us! Congrats to the team at @InnerslothDevs on this win! #GIGA21 #ddc2021". Twitter, @IGDA. August 27, 2021. Retrieved August 27, 2021.
- "We're so honored that Among Us is an @AppStore Trend of the Year winner for Connection!
It's so cool the Crewmates have helped people stay connected (... and destroyed a few friendships) after all these years 🚀 ❤️ #AppStoreAwards". Twitter, @InnerslothDevs. December 2, 2021. Retrieved December 2, 2021.