Characters are the in-game creature that the player controls, present in the game Among Us. Players can move characters in a two-dimensional field-of-play, and they can interact with the environment in multiple ways, ranging from completing tasks to preventing Sabotages. Characters may also interact with each other, such as engaging in murdering or reporting a dead body. A player may customize their character in some ways, such as changing the character's name, color, and cosmetics. Cosmetics include hats, skins, visor cosmetics, and pets.
Living characters are shown as short, humanoid beings wearing a spacesuit. They lack arms, have short legs, and their spacesuits do not reveal what is underneath. Sometimes, players will appear to have four-fingered hands at certain moments, such as the killing animations when they are killed by An Impostor. On the contrary, the Reactor Meltdown UI shows a five-fingered hand being scanned. A small pack is also mounted on the back of the suit.
If a player is eliminated by normal gameplay, they will turn into a ghost. Ghosts look the same as living characters, except that they have a ghost tail in place of legs and are translucent. Their currently chosen skin will not be displayed below the character.
If the player is a Crewmate, all characters will display their names in white above their heads. If the player is selected as An Impostor, then any other Impostors will see their names (including their own) as colored red.
If An Impostor kills a Crewmate, they will leave behind a decapitated corpse, which appears as the bottom half of the body lying down with a single bone sticking out of it.
- According to Submit Scan, characters weigh 92 pounds and are 3'6" tall. The only exception is Fortegreen, who weighs 132 pounds.
- Players will play as Fortegreen while connecting, along with the username "???".
- Various kill animations and promotional art show that characters indeed have a pair of disconnected hands, and Impostors have teeth and long tongues. Such hands can appear and disappear at will.
- Crewmates may be Henry Stickmin characters, as a human-like voice can be heard in Communications.
- Among Us did a retweet, revealing if you look under the space suit, you will see the exact same thing.
- Characters are able to drink through osmosis.
- In a tweet from Among Us, they said that characters "either have no toes or each leg is actually just a giant toe."
- Character sprites are stored in the game files as a base template instead of sprites for every color.
Red marks where the main color goes, blue marks shadows, navy blue marks the outline color, shades of pink are used for the insides, and shades of green are used for the visor.
- This color is referred to as 'Crewcolor' on cosmetics with such coloring to allow them to change to the color of the character.
- Prior to version 2022.3.29, players using a PC could move around and open UIs during the Role Reveal screen. This was probably a bug.
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on carpet.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on dirt.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on glass.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on metal.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on plastic.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on snow.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on tile.|
|The sounds that characters make when they walk on wood.|
- "originally, the default crewmate name was "ForteBass", not "???"". Innersloth Discord server, Buttery Stancakes. October 17, 2020. Retrieved January 25, 2021.
- "osmosis". Twitter, AmongUsGame. November 30, 2020. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- "they either have no toes or each leg is actually just a giant toe". Twitter, AmongUsGame. November 21, 2020. Retrieved November 30, 2020.