Characters are generally AI-controlled entities, except when playable by actual people, present in the game Among Us. Players can move characters in a two-dimensional field-of-play, and they can interact with the environment in multiple ways, ranging from taking out the trash to preventing a reactor meltdown. Characters may also interact with each other, such as engaging in murder or reporting a corpse. A player may customize their character in some ways, such as changing the character's name, color, and cosmetics. Cosmetics include hats, skins, and pets.
Living characters are shown as short, humanoid beings wearing a spacesuit. They lack arms, have short legs, and their spacesuits do not reveal what is underneath. Sometimes, players will appear to have four-fingered hands at certain moments, such as the killing animations when they are killed by An Impostor. On the contrary, the reactor meltdown UI shows a five-fingered hand being scanned. A small pack is also mounted on the back of the suit.
If a player is eliminated by normal gameplay, they will turn into a ghost. Ghosts look the same as living characters, except that they have a ghost tail in place of legs and are translucent. Their currently chosen skin will not be displayed below the character.
If the player is a Crewmate, all characters will display their names in white above their heads. If the player is selected as An Impostor, then any other Impostors will see their names (including their own) as colored red.
If An Impostor kills a Crewmate, they will leave behind a decapitated corpse, which appears as the bottom half of the body with a single bone sticking out of it.
- According to the Submit Scan task, characters weigh 92 pounds and are 3'6" tall. The only exception is Fortegreen, who weighs 132 pounds.
- Players will play as Fortegreen while connecting, along with the username "???"
- Various animations show that characters indeed have a pair of disconnected hands, and Impostors have teeth and long tongues. Crewmates also have these disconnected hands, because in the neck cracking, punch-to-shooting and stabbing kills, it is shown Crewmates have these hands.
- Crewmates may be Henry Stickmin characters, as a human-like voice can be heard in Communications.
- Among Us did a retweet, revealing if you look under the space suit, you will see the exact same thing.
- Characters are able to drink through osmosis.
- In a tweet from Among Us, they said that characters "either have no toes or each leg is actually just a giant toe."
- If fans asked what is under the crewmate's suit, Among Us will reply with an image, revealing the crewmate themself underneath.
- "originally, the default crewmate name was "ForteBass", not "???"". Innersloth Discord server, Buttery Stancakes. October 17, 2020. Retrieved January 25, 2021.
- "osmosis". Twitter, AmongUsGame. November 30, 2020. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- "they either have no toes or each leg is actually just a giant toe". Twitter, AmongUsGame. November 21, 2020. Retrieved November 30, 2020.