Cosmetics are items in Among Us used to customize characters. There are three types of cosmetics: hats, skins, and pets. Hats are worn on players' heads, skins are worn on their bodies, and pets follow the player around until the player is killed by An Impostor or ejected.
Some hats are free and automatically owned by the player on mobile platforms, while a variety of other cosmetics can be unlocked by paying real money (between $0.99 and $2.99). On the paid PC version, all skins and hats are free (except the ones included in the MIRA HQ, Polus and Airship bundles), but all pets are still required to be bought to obtain. Purchases do not sync across platforms. Cosmetics can be bought via the shop, and owned cosmetics can be worn in the lobby before a game starts.
Cosmetics grant little gameplay advantage and mostly serve the purpose of supporting the developers. However, if someone is An Impostor and is running away or using a vent, people can identify them by a hat or pet because they make the space of their character larger. On the other hand, if someone is a Crewmate, then cosmetics could be used to verify that a player was in a location.
Some skins and hats slightly hide the color of the player, which can confuse other players. A player might be distracted by The Impostor's clothing, then forget what color The Impostor is during an emergency meeting. The most recent version of Among Us features that a player's hat and skin show up on their voting icon, but not their text icon. This is mostly to help colorblind people or stop the very thing explained above.
Main article: Hats
Hats accessorize or cover the top of a character's body.
Main article: Skins
Skins cover the lower half of a character's body, with the exception of the Right Hand Man Reborn skin (which covers the left half instead).
|MIRA HQ skin bundle||Polus skin bundle||The Airship skin bundle|
Main article: Pets
Pets follow their owner around until they die or if the game ends.
|Mini Crewmate||Robot||Henry||Ellie||Glitch Pet||Clank pet|
Main article: Visor cosmetics
Visor cosmetics accessorize a character's visor, some are currently in-game as hats.
Holiday '18 hats bundle
Main article: Christmas
A bundle of eight different hats was added as the limited-time "holiday '18 hats bundle" made purchasable during the holidays of 2018 on the mobile version of Among Us for $2.99, and every subsequent year. This bundle will be unlocked every Holiday period.
Halloween hat bundle
Main article: Halloween
A free bundle of twelve hats was released during October 2019, around Halloween. This bundle will be unlocked every October.
1M downloads hat bundle
Main article: 1M downloads hat bundle
A bundle of eight different hats can be purchased for $2.99 (all hats are included in that purchase). This bundle was created to celebrate Among Us receiving 1 million downloads. They are included for free in the PC and Nintendo Switch editions.
MIRA HQ skin bundle
Main article: MIRA HQ skin bundle
A bundle of three skins and hats can be purchased for $1.99. Originally the bundle also included the MIRA HQ map, until it was removed when it was released for free.
Polus skin bundle
Main article: Polus skin bundle
A bundle of three skins and hats can be purchased for $1.99. Originally, the bundle included the Polus map, until the map was removed when it was released for free.
The Airship skin bundle
Main article: The Airship skin bundle
A bundle of three skins and thirteen hats can be purchased for $1.99. The bundle was made available for purchase along with the release of The Airship. Unlike the previous two skin bundles, The Airship has always been free, and as such never came with the bundle.
- There are sprites for unused hats in the game files, including a traffic cone, a drinking cap, a headcrab, and a pot.
- Many skins and hats reference Marcus Bromander's Henry Stickmin series.
- As of version 2020.10.22, cosmetics are visible on the voting screen.
- The Halloween hats can be unlocked before or after Halloween by setting the device's time to October.
- The same applies to the Christmas hats for PC users.
- Any player playing as Fortegreen is unable to select cosmetics, and will appear wearing the military suit.
- Cosmetics that would normally be purchased in the shop are unobtainable on the Nintendo Switch edition of the game. However, several of the once unobtainable cosmetics were added in a later update.
- When the kill animation is displayed, a few hats have changes, such as the balloon popping.
- The cosmetics worn on the players are mirrored if the player is facing the opposite direction. The only exception to this is the Right Hand Man skin.