Empty Garbage is a short or long task in Among Us, featured on all four currently available maps. The Skeld additionally features a counterpart of the task, titled Empty Chute, which is present in O2.
On The Skeld, Empty Garbage consists of two stages. The first stage is located in Cafeteria, where Crewmates must go up to the lever and must pull and hold the lever down until the garbage has been emptied.
The second stage is located in Storage at a lever nearby a door outside the ship. Similar to the first stage, Crewmates must pull the lever and hold it until the chute is empty, and the door outside the ship will open, throwing all the garbage out. This stage is a visual task, which means a Crewmate can use it to prove their innocence and confirm that they are not An Impostor unless visual tasks are disabled in the game's options.
The "Empty Chute" counterpart of the task starts in O2 and finishes in Storage. This task is identical in terms of how to complete it. Crewmates can have both of these tasks, requiring them to pull the lever in Storage twice.
MIRA HQ and Polus
On MIRA HQ and Polus, Empty Garbage consists of one stage. Otherwise, it is identical to the first stage on The Skeld. The garbage chutes on these maps are located in Cafeteria and O2, respectively. On these maps, this task is not visual.
On The Airship, Empty Garbage consists of two stages. The first stage is located in Main Hall, Medical, Kitchen, Showers, or Lounge. Unlike on other maps, Crewmates must shake a garbage bin until the garbage falls out. The second stage is in Meeting Room, and, like on other maps, the player will need to empty the chute using the lever. Both the first and second stage of the task are not visual, unlike on The Skeld.
- Some of the items seen in the garbage chute in Storage on The Skeld or Meeting Room on The Airship that appear when completing the task are references to various games:
- Players can complete this task faster by pulling the lever before the garbage touches the bottom of the chute.
- When the lever is pulled, the task interface vibrates, and the items in the chute are lifted slightly. If the lever is pulled multiple times in rapid succession, the items will disappear above the visible UI. This can also lead to the task UI drifting away from the center of the screen. The items will eventually return to the bottom of the chute.
- On The Airship, the garbage bins located in Showers and Lounge used to be fake and non-functional. In version 2021.6.30, it is now possible to do Empty Garbage in those locations using those garbage bins.
- The garbage bin in Lounge disappears at the edge of the player's vision like player sprites themselves do, unlike the other bins, which are always visible.
- On The Airship, the garbage bins are different in shape and color, depending on the room they are in. For example, the one in Main Hall is circular and blue, the one in Medical is also circular but gray, but the one in Kitchen is rectangular and green.
- The previously fake garbage bins in Showers and Lounge are the same as the one in Medical.
- On The Skeld, MIRA HQ, Polus, and the second stage on The Airship, it is possible that, even with all the garbage emptied, the task will not be completed, but this requires timing to happen. Pulling the lever once more will instantly complete the task.
- Empty Garbage is one of the three tasks available on all four maps, the others being Fix Wiring and Fuel Engines.
- Amongst these three tasks, Empty Garbage is the only task that is ever a visual task (as it is a visual task on The Skeld).
|The sound played when the lever is pulled.|
|The sound played as the garbage is being emptied.|
|The sound played when the lever is released.|
|The sound played when the garbage stops being emptied.|
|The sound played on The Airship when grabbing the garbage bag.|