|THIS ARTICLE CAN BE USEFUL FOR NEWCOMERS|
For those who recently started playing Among Us, this article may be very useful to learn how the game works and what to do.
Impostors use this ability for killing Crewmates, turning them into ghosts. The kill cooldown ranges from 10 to 60 seconds, depending on the game options. Upon spawning in for the first time in the match, The Impostor's kill cooldown starts at 10 seconds from the beginning of the game. After an emergency meeting or The Impostor killing a player, the cooldown will change to that of the in-game options. The kill distance may be short, medium, or long, depending on the game's options. However, the kill cooldown pauses when The Impostor is in a vent; uses Admin, Security, Doorlog, or Vitals; resolves a Sabotage; looks at the emergency button; or opens the Customize menu in Freeplay, and will only resume when such actions are stopped.
While killing someone, The Impostor will teleport towards the target, slicing their body in half and leaving only a bone sticking out. The now-dead Crewmate will become a dead body, which Impostors or other Crewmates can report. Dead bodies will remain on the map until an emergency meeting is called, either by reporting a body or using the emergency button.
Kill cannot bypass through walls or obstructions, as it works for a given distance in a straight line of sight, such that if there is an object between the Crewmate and Impostor, the kill option will be deactivated. Some objects do not count towards this.
When An Impostor comes close to a Crewmate, a red outline marks the victim. The distance from which the red line starts depends on the Options. When pressing the kill button, the victim's body is split in the middle accompanied by a blood splatter, with the entire upper half disappearing, and the body wobbles to the ground, with a single bone sticking out. This is the time for The Impostor to flee, hide in a vent, or report the body to try to accuse and eject Crewmates or feign innocence.
In the victim Crewmate's view, intense violin music starts to play while a short animation flashes on the screen, which consists of one of five ways An Impostor can kill the victim: snapping the victim's neck, stabbing them with a knife or a pointed tongue, punching and shooting them with a gun, or shooting a laser which incinerates their head, (this has not yet been added) as revealed in The Airship's official trailer. Regardless of which animation shows, their body will show up split in the middle, exposing their bone and turning the Crewmate into a ghost.
- The music that plays in the background of a kill animation was reused in another of Innersloth's games, Fleeing the Complex.
- If a Crewmate has a pet equipped and is killed by An Impostor, the pet will stay at the spot they have been killed at, albeit only visible to ghosts and Impostors.
- Pets also react to the Crewmate being killed, each with a unique reaction.
- In previous versions, if An Impostor killed a Crewmate, the kill button would show the kill cooldown for a second on other Impostors' screens, as if they had just killed. This is no longer the case.
- There was an unused kill animation where The Impostor would take a piece of wire or strong rope and choke the Crewmate to death. It was never used because Innersloth thought the animation would be "too gruesome" for the public.
- In the beta version of Among Us, the kill sound effect was absent in local games to keep the identity of The Impostor hidden. This was the same case with the vent sound effects as well.
- On MIRA HQ, killing can be done behind plants and tables. It can be also done behind the large glass tube that contains a panel for Oxygen Depletion in Greenhouse.
- In the stabbing kill animation, color is not correctly applied to The Impostor's hand.
- When The Impostor teleports to their target, they can sometimes move through small obstacles.
- The laser kill animation is a reference to The Good Gents option in a Henry Stickmin game, Completing the Mission. This animation may come soon in the next update.
- "Among Us 🛩️ The Airship Map 🛩️ Reveal Trailer - Coming Early 2021!". YouTube, Innersloth. December 2020. Retrieved December 11, 2020.
- "The Henry Stickmin Collection Developer Commentary (Part 1)". Twitch, PuffballsUnited. December 2020. Retrieved December 29, 2020.