- The Airship
The Airship, often shortened as Airship, is the fourth map in Among Us, based on the Toppat Clan's Airship in the Henry Stickmin game Infiltrating the Airship. The Airship is currently the largest map in Among Us, includes more tasks, and has seventeen new locations. Added with the new map were multiple Henry Stickmin-related cosmetics and The Airship skin bundle.
- 1 Premise
- 2 Development and Release
- 3 Locations
- 3.1 Electrical
- 3.2 Cockpit
- 3.3 Vault
- 3.4 Brig
- 3.5 Security
- 3.6 Medical
- 3.7 Meeting Room
- 3.8 Gap Room
- 3.9 Engine Room
- 3.10 Records
- 3.11 Main Hall
- 3.12 Kitchen
- 3.13 Showers
- 3.14 Viewing Deck
- 3.15 Lounge
- 3.16 Armory
- 3.17 Cargo Bay
- 3.18 Ventilation
- 3.19 Communications
- 3.20 Outside
- 3.21 Hall of Portraits
- 4 Full Map
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Audio
- 7 Videos
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Welcome recruits. Hop onto the newest Among Us map – the Airship! Out now on all the Among Us platforms, this giant ship is where you'll be able to work together to carry out the greatest plan... whether that's as a Crewmate or Impostor is another question.
This free update includes:
- The 4th map, and the biggest one yet
- New tasks including jewel polishing, emptying trash, and more
- The ability to pick the room you start in
- All new areas to explore (or get murdered in)
- Improved mobility with ladders and moving platforms
- Inspired by The Henry Stickmin Collection
Development and Release
|—Description of The Airship announcement trailer on YouTube|
The development of The Airship was officially confirmed by Innersloth on September 23, 2020, as it was originally intended to be included in Among Us 2, however at the cancelation of the sequel - this content was to be added to Among Us instead. Innersloth, on their developer log, stated that it will be free to all players. On November 18, 2020, Cockpit was revealed in the first post of Among Us's official Twitter account with an unknown name. Two characters are featured, who resemble a Center for Chaos Containment employee and the Right Hand Man Reborn, respectively.
In an interview with Innersloth, when asked if he made any plans for the new map, Marcus Bromander responded "Ah, yeah! I've got four rooms drawn and I've got the layout [of the map] kind of sketched out." At The Game Awards 2020 on December 10, 2020, The Airship's announcement trailer was shown. This announcement was officially confirmed by Geoff Keighley on his Twitter account on December 2, 2020. It reveals the names of several locations, including Cockpit, Viewing Deck, Medical, Gap Room, Meeting Room, Lounge, Armory, and Showers, and shows new tasks.
When The Nintendo Switch version came out in 2020, The Airship was accidentally released with its new cosmetics. It wasn't patched quickly, causing many players using the Nintendo Switch to leak gameplay of the map.
On March 18, 2021, Innersloth announced The Airship was set to release on the 31st of the month.
On March 31, 2021, Innersloth announced that The Airship was set to release at 6:00 PM UTC on that day. The map was released on the same day with another tweet from the official Twitter account stating the map was now released, free for all devices.
Electrical is a large room that consists of several smaller rooms connected by randomly-opened doors. It was confirmed to be on The Airship by Marcus Bromander on November 6, 2020 on his Twitter account, saying that it "might be scarier than Skeld."
Cockpit was revealed on the first post of the Among Us Twitter account, based on the cockpit of the titular Airship from Infiltrating the Airship. It contains a vent at the left-center of the room. It also houses the Admin table.
The Meeting Room is where all the emergency meetings are held and have three room divisions. The first division has a ladder from the Gap Room and contains the Empty Garbage task. The second section has the emergency button, and the third section has the Enter Id Code task.
The Gap Room contains two ladders, as well as a moving platform, which can be used to cross the room's large gap. It also contains the keypads used to resolve Avert Crash Course and a Fix Lights panel.
Showers is a medium-sized room with the showering area cornered at one end.
Armory is a V-shaped room with two small corners. The small corners are for putting away rifles and pistols.
Cargo Bay is a large room starting from Lounge and ending at Medical. It has a safe at one of its ends and a Fix Lights panel at another. It is one of the rooms that a player may start after an emergency meeting.
Hall of Portraits
- Before releasing, The Airship's map icon was shown as a single question mark. However, it was revealed in a video about the new Among Us interface, as a fourth map had a question mark as a placeholder for the map icon.
- The Airship currently has the longest name of any Among Us map, having 11 characters, including the space. The Skeld's name only has nine characters, including the space; MIRA HQ's name only has seven characters, including the space; and Polus's name only has five.
- The ejection animation on this map references an ending called The Betrayed in a Henry Stickmin game called Fleeing the Complex, also developed by Innersloth.
- On December 11, 2020, Marcus Bromander stated on his Twitter account that he posted the trailer's official theme for download on Newgrounds.
- The Airship has several modifications in comparison with the previous maps:
- MedBay has been replaced with Medical on The Airship, similar to how Greenhouse replaces O2 on MIRA HQ.
- There are multiple new tasks and a new kill animation introduced within The Airship's reveal trailer. The kill animation is the cyborg laser beam, based on the Right Hand Man's laser.
- The "Dead Body Reported" sound is different on The Airship than the other three maps.
- The sound can also be heard in the Henry Stickmin game Infiltrating the Airship.
- The sound also is embedded into the emergency meeting sound when a player calls an emergency meeting using the emergency button.
- In the trailer, a new Sabotage sound was also heard (also found in Infiltrating the Airship), but it was changed to the default Sabotage sound after the map's release. It was later reimplemented in version 2021.6.30.
- In this map, players can choose the location to spawn in after an emergency meeting.
- The Airship contains new mechanics, including ladders and the moving platform.
- In the reveal trailer, the voice narrating belongs to Marcus Bromander, playing his role as Reginald Copperbottom, yet another character hailing from the Henry Stickmin series. Reginald himself is the leader of the Toppat Clan in the games, making sense of his authority-like demeanor in the trailer.
- The only returning locations on The Airship are Communications, Electrical, Security, and Outside.
- The Airship is currently the only map without Chart Course, Start Reactor, Clear Asteroids, Unlock Manifolds, and Submit Scan.
- This is currently the only map not to have visual tasks.
- This is currently the only map that has fake Fix Wiring panels.
- When creating a game online, The Airship used The Skeld's background when choosing a map. This was later fixed in version 2021.4.12.
- In the Quick Chat interface in a lobby, The Airship is not present as one of the locations.
- This is currently the first and only map to stylistically use a different icon for Freeplay as it does not have a simplified (blocky) icon, but instead, the title for the one seen in Infiltrating the Airship, excluding the word "Infiltrating" and the cloudy puff behind the title logo. The Airship is not modified to look simplistic (also in front of a big cloud).
- The team tweeted a concept art for The Airship map on Among Us official Twitter account on April 15, 2021.
- The Airship is currently the only map that isn't owned by the MIRA corporation.
- Due to a bug, monitoring abilities on The Airship use the 'Use' icon instead of their usual icon.
|The main ambience sound for The Airship.|
|If you want to see the gallery of The Airship, click here.|
- "Map 4 is looking to be bigger than Polus.". Twitter, PuffballsUnited. October 26, 2020. Retrieved November 18, 2020.
- "The Future of Among Us". itch.io, Innersloth. September 23, 2020. Retrieved November 18, 2020.
- "Small Patch and Small Roadmap". itch.io, Innersloth. November 3, 2020. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- "The future of Among us! | Interview with Innersloth Developers | Among Us News Update". YouTube, Big Boaby. October 12, 2020. Retrieved November 19, 2020.
- "It's true: Get your first look at the new @AmongUsGame map live during #TheGameAwards next Thursday, streaming live and free at http://thegameawards.com". Twitter, George Keighley. December 2, 2020. Retrieved December 4, 2020.
- "THE AIRSHIP - A new map coming early 2021". Twitter, AmongUsGame. December 10, 2020. Retrieved December 12, 2020.
- "📣 March 31 - The Airship Releases!". itch.io, Innersloth. March 18, 2021. Retrieved March 18, 2021.
- "This electrical might be scarier than Skeld. We'll seeee...". Twitter, PuffballsUnited. November 6, 2020. Retrieved November 19, 2020.
- "Here's a link to the song I wrote for the Among Us Airship trailer. The Toppat Theme is always fun to modify!". Twitter, PuffballsUnited. December 11, 2020. Retrieved December 12, 2020.
- "Clever and interesting dev log title - Among Us by Innersloth". Itch.io, Innersloth. April 27, 2021. Retrieved May 8, 2021.
- "even if you feel like a sketch now remember u are a work in progress into becoming a beautiful Airship". Twitter, @AmongUsGame. April 15, 2021. Retrieved May 8, 2021.